Metalworking Tools at Narwhal Labs
|CNC Plasma||Langmuir Crossfire XL||Paired with RazorCut 45 plasma cutter - uses hypertherm consumables - NO torch height controller|
|MP Welder||Vulcan OmniPro 220||MIG/TIG/Stick capability. 100% argon and 75/25 available. Wire and rod available. Tweco style consumables|
|Horizontal Band Saw||Harbor Freight/Central||64 1/2" Blade Length. 1HP|
|Porta-Band||Harbor Freight/Bauer||Porta-Band with Swag Table. Uses standard milwaukee porta-band blades.|
|Belt Grinder||Ameribrade 2x72||1HP VFD controlled variable speed. Work Rest+Horizontal Tilt|
|Shop Press||Harbor Freight/Central||Basic 12 Ton Hydraulic Shop Press|
|Sheet Metal Brake||Harbor Freight/Central||36" Metal Brake. Max recommended thickness, 16ga steel|
Metalworking tools are available for all members to use. While there is not a specific sign-off process on individual tools, members must be directly supervised by a staff or designated shop mentor while using any metalworking tools. Please discuss any project and metalworking tool use with a staff or designated shop mentor prior to using it. If you are in any way unsure about how to use a tool, please ask for demonstration and instruction. Staff or shop mentors may intervene if they see unsafe practices in the metal lab. You must use all appropriate PPE at all times when working in the metal lab. Auto-darkening welding hoods, fire retardant jackets in sizes M-XXL, welding gloves in sizes M-XL, Nitrile coated fabric gloves, and safety toe covers in sizes S-L are available to all members for use.
If you plan to use the CNC Plasma Table for the first time, you must ask a staff member or shop mentor to provide a demonstration on the startup and run procedures, and safety information for this machine. We can provide demonstration and instruction on any tools/processes on an on-going and as-needed basis. Questions and demonstrations are always encouraged to make sure you work safe in our space.
CNC Plasma Table Notes:
Please reference Langmuir System's Documentation for the following:
- Fusion 360 CAD/CAM
- Fusion 360 Post Processor Download
- FireControl Control Software
- General Software Workflow
- Startup and run procedure:
- Before running, ensure you have unchecked "THC" and "IHS" in the fusion post processor. The default fusion plasma cutter tool is sufficient.
- Turn on the plasma cutter and Langmuir controller.
- Turn on the laptop and launch "FireControl"
- Check that the plasma fluid is at least at or above the triangular slat holders.
- Zero the X and Y axis at the corner of your cut job
- Check the amperage setting on the plasma cutter
- Manually set the torch height using the provided shims. (1/16" for thick stock, 1/8" for thin stock)
- (Recommended) Enable "dry run" in FireControl and run the job without the torch firing to verify good cutting toolpath.
- WEAR PROVIDED SHADE 5 SAFETY GLASSES DURING CUT OPERATIONS.
- Disable dry run button and run your job.
- Close the curtain and watch from outside the curtain if you are able to.
Tested Feeds & Speeds
|Material||Feed Rate||Plasma Amperage||Notes|
|16ga mild steel||40IPM||25-30||Good cut quality - dross easiest to grind off, does not chip easily|
|1/4" mild steel||20IPM||30-35||Good cut quality - dross easily removed with chipping hammer.|
Additionally, this feeds and speeds chart was put together by users on Langmuir's forums. These settings have not been tested and are not guaranteed.
User-Reported Feeds and Speeds